Monday, September 6, 2010

Dos simana

Here I am now… week 8, of a 9 week pre-service training. Much has happened since my last entry: the most important being my island announcement…. Boa Vista!!!! I am very excited about this to say the least. The country director here says that “they” were very excited about me long before I arrived, because of my background in sand dunes. Yikes. I hope they aren’t too disappointed with my minimal knowledge with dune systems, and sounds like I have a large amount of studying to do in the area of sand dunes and starting a national park. Oh did I not mention that part? Yeah, so Cape Verde wants me to help start a national park on Boa Vista as my primary assignment!!!!!! Double Yikes!!! Do they even know my background??? Last time I looked at my resume, it said nothing about even working in a park, let alone starting a new one. But hey, this is going to be one hell of ride. I accept the challenge that has been laid before in the true Peace Corps fashion; blind and broke.
I have been able to keep in touch with several people from back home. That has been nice, and helped keep me normal. I thank you everyone who has been sending me letters, it’s nice to receive a piece of mail. It seems such a simple thing, but mail makes you famous around here. Oh and when a care package comes… all the trainees gather around and watch the one person open the package and examine each item as it exits the box. A funny site, 23 adults gathered around the one who has a box.
So back to my site announcement, I will be the first volunteer on Boa Vista along with one other volunteer, Danny. I don’t know much about him other than he’s from California, knows how to surf (go figure, right), and will be teaching English in Sel Rei. He seems like a cool enough guy though, I mean he is in Peace Corps. That has to say something about him. One thing that I can see potentially being a problem is our difference in job. Danny will be very structured with an 8-5 type of job, where my “job” may not technically exist for some time. We are warned as Environmental volunteers to become very flexible and not to expect much to happen in the first year at site… triple yikes! But if this is my calling, if this is how I can save the world, through a national park, than that is exactly what I am going to do. I guess I could explain the project a little better; as part of a global initiative in conjunction with the U.N., a few environmental organizations have identified the important ecosystems of the world. As Cape Verde develops and becomes a bigger player in international business, they want to become part of the global solution as well. They have committed to 6 national parks throughout the islands, 3 of which exist already and are quasi-sustainable currently. As for the other three, this is where the three environmental volunteers from my training group come in. Sarah Chang will be starting the park on Sal, Scott Benton will start the park on Santo Antão, and of course, yours truly on Boa Vista.
My final project for PST is fast approaching… Scott, Sarah, and I are planning a nature hike to Tabugal here on Santiago with the youth of a Village near Scott. We will hike and each talk about different things that are important to the environment, I will be giving my talk on biodiversity. Should be very interesting given my limited language skills and the new vocabulary I need to learn how to pronounce. Giving a science talk in another language is like giving a talk back home, but you just can’t use any of the word you would normally use! I gave a short talk on photosynthesis to youth a couple of weeks ago, and it went well enough all things considered. But I am sure I didn’t sound credible as I sloppily stumbled over words. Oh more fun news; the language skills that I currently have, will essentially be useless in 2 weeks… northern Kriolu is that different. But hey I am a member of the Peace Corps, and last time I checked I’ll be here for two more years, that’s more than enough time to learn the language. Hopefully, by the time my parents come to visit I’ll have a solid grasp on language.
Well I guess I will leave you with the quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson:
To leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child, a
garden patch or a redeemed
social condition, to know even
one life has breathed easier
because you have lived—this is
to have succeeded.


To: Those who care
From: Cabo Verdi, with love

8 comments:

  1. Hey Matthew! Awesome update! Sounds like lots of challenges and oppurtunities lay ahead for you. We sure do love you and are proud of what you are doing. Love, M&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great update Matt! Thank you for keeping us up to date with what you are doing and how you are. You have a very exciting and challenging task ahead of you. I have no doubt that you will meet this new responsibility as you have the past 8 weeks and the rest of your life... With everything you have and hold nothing back. We are all very proud of you and look forward to the next round of news and photos. All our Love, Aunt Linda, Uncle Pat, Kassie & Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Matt. Sounds like an amazing experience for u. Congratulations on all ur success. My name is Mathew Allred and I am ur parents, neighbor's, son (Nancy & Garey) I got to hear about ur adventure from ur mother and father at the lake a month or so back when I was visiting from CA. The info they shared was amazing and the views I got to see from ur dad using Google earth paired so well with the story I have been following ur blog since. Again Congrats on ur success and gave a great time.

    Mathew in CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog buddy. Looks like you have a great opportunity to make a positive impact in your environment during your upcoming operations. Be careful and as always I brag about you to everyone I meet. Good luck out there.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, you are a very amzing youung man. With your drive you will accomplish all that is before you and being a betting man, I know you will do so in find fashion and accomplish more than is required.

    Take care and knonw your in our thoughts and prayers. Garey your Seguin buddy.

    Garey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. It's an exciting and challenging opportunity, and you'll be great. Take care, man. We'll be thinking of you.

    -Dustin, Lindsey, and Southern Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parabens on being selected to serve on Boa vista. If you mention Leland's name anywhere in Sal Rei (vila) you will have a positive experience. Leland served on Boa Vista from 2006 to 2008.

    I am a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer that served in Puvason (Riberia Grande) for two years and then I moved with my husband to Boa Vista because my husband was a police officer. We lived on Boa Vista for eight months before returning to the States.

    Have fun surfing, kite surfing, diving, swimming, checking your email from the wireless portal in the plaza (in front of the church), the airport also has wireless too, practicing karate or capoeira, or buying fresh bread. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Matt. It is really great to get updates. I know it took me a while to write up a letter saying how proud I am with what you are doing. Sounds to me like you are really into your job and your line must be good enough to have a lot of people believing in your thoughts. That tells me your saying the wrong words in a different language, but hey it works. Keep up the great work. There should be more like you and willing to devote 2yrs away in a strange and beautiful country. It sure does have a whole different landscape from anything I've ever seen. Of course I'm not from Texas and that is a strange place too. We love you and always keeping an eye open for updates. We're always thinking of you and praying for a safe journey and a happy return.

    ReplyDelete