Friday, August 13, 2010

Achada Igreja

Hello family and friends! I hope all is well back in America. Today marks the 25th day here in Cabo Verdi. Peace Corps tells us about the roller coaster ride that we will be on during our time here; we just don’t really know what they are talking about until we are here and on the ride. I was unprepared for the emotional and mental aspect of this training. The distance to something familiar, the thought of something small that you never thought you would miss; these are some of the things that can play tricks on a trainees mind.
Peace Corps has made some recent changes to our language groups which I don’t necessarily agree with. I should explain a little better how training works I guess: So, Monday through Friday we have language and culture training with a group of 3 Peace Corps Trainees (PCT), lead by a Language and Culture Facilitator (LCF). I had just become accustomed to our LCF and gotten into a groove. However, Peace Corps thought changing the groups was the better choice. What the hell do I know; maybe this is for the best. On a good note, our group of 24 trainees is supposedly the first group in the history of Peace Corps: Cape Verde to all be at the intermediate level of conversational Kriolu at our first evaluation!
I don’t think that I have said this yet and feel it necessary to say this: thank you to all of you for your role in my decision to join and do this thing. No matter how large or small your role has been in my life, your support and willingness to learn with me through this blog means the world to me. You are all my connection to what is home.
To: Mom and Dad
I love you and you are on my mind, always
N ta amor nhos y nhos ta fika na lenbransa, siempre
From: Cabo Verdi

5 comments:

  1. Matt, Thank you for sharing some photos, although I would like to see one of you next time. I am so very proud of you. You have always been an amazing person and have grown into such an outstandingly awesome young man. Although we don't get to talk I hope you know that you are always on my mind and I love you very, very much. Signed, Your Sappy but Loving Aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt I'm glad to see you made it to Cabo Verdi, I bet you are having a huge adjustment to the way of life out there. Make the best out of this experience, because not everything is fortunate enough to experience what you are going to be doing for the next couple of years. Stay safe, and keep up the good work. Stay strong man! Love you brother, Alex Thome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matt! Bobby Christmas just said Hi and loves the pics and the blog. Lindsey says you are a better person than she is! And good fo you. I copied that music for you and the DVD's will be on the way soon. I hope noone finds out that I actually have Eminem music on my computer now!!! ;-)

    Love ya,
    M&D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bernie listening to Eminem? What is the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Matthew! Hope you are feeling better and got rid of that bug, no fun being ill. We have been thinking about you lots, because of the news of all those tropical storms forming off of Africa just south of the Cape Verde Islands. Just know all of your Summit "moms" are very proud of you. Today is your mom's birthday, us girls are taking her to dinner tomorrow night, can't wait to hear more about your Skype call. Take care and don't forget to get some good recipes! Rian says howdy! Kathy

    ReplyDelete